How to clean your electric tea kettle (stainless steel or plastic)
- Safety first! Remove the power cord plug for the kettle from the wall. You could be seriously burned or electrocuted if you try to wash your kettle and remove scale with the electric kettle plugged into the power outlet.
- Empty all water out of the kettle, remove the top, and allow it to cool off if it is hot. Adding water to an already hot kettle may warp the metal and cause damage.
- After the kettle has cooled, check the kettle for any signs of wear or damage. This would include burn marks, cracking or exposed wires, broken pieces on the connectors, melted plastic, loose rivets or screws, or holes causing leaks in the kettle. Using a kettle with any of these problems could be very dangerous. The electric tea kettle should be taken out of service immediately and you should inquire about getting service for your electric kettle.
- For best results, purchase kettle cleaning descaling solution from us and follow the directions on the package.
- Fill the kettle about half way with warm water.
- Add a quarter cup of white vinegar to the water in the kettle and mix.
- Let the water sit for 10 to 20 minutes. Most of the scale and deposits will be towards the bottom of the kettle.
- After the water/vinegar mix sits in the kettle, use a Scotch-Brite-style scouring pad to gently remove any remaining deposits. Any remaining scale or calcium deposits should be softened by the vinegar/water mix and should be easy to remove. NOTE: Do not scrub too hard on the heating element, as this has a special coating to protect it.
- Pour out the vinegar/water mix and rinse the tea kettle with plenty of cool fresh water. Be sure to remove any chunks of scale calcium deposit that may have come loose during cleaning.
- Clean the outside of the kettle as needed, being careful not to scratch the finish. Rinse again with cool fresh water to remove any cleaner.
- Allow the kettle to dry completely before using it again. Especially make sure all water had dried from the kettle electrical connectors on the base.
- After the kettle has dried, you may want to boil and dump a kettle full of water to remove any possible remaining aftertaste from the cleaning.
- Enjoy your newly cleaned electric tea kettle! Be sure to bookmark this page for future reference.
- Remember, you can purchase electric tea kettle descaling cleaning solution from us.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via e-mail to our service department or by calling 1-888-HOBBS-20 during our regular operating hours.
You can find spares in the UK at: Russell Hobbs UK Spares.